What is an Electronic Cigarette?
Electronic cigarettes are a smoking alternative to traditional regular tobacco cigarettes. The electronic cigarette is a vaporizing device that simulates a tobacco cigarette. It is comprised of four main parts: a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, an atomizer, an LED light, and a replaceable cartridge. The battery-powered device provides vapor (similar in sensation to a traditional cigarette) by delivering a vaporized Propylene Glycol or Vegetable Glycerin solution. This vapor also provides a flavor and physical sensation similar to that of inhaled tobacco smoke, while no tobacco, smoke, or combustion is actually involved in its operation. Electronic cigarettes are often marketed as a healthier alternative to tobacco smoking, since most of the harmful material produced by the combustion of tobacco in traditional cigarettes is not present in the atomized liquid of electronic cigarettes. Vaping an e-cigarette spares users and those around them from second hand smoke, and the over 4,000 chemicals found in tobacco smoke. How does the Electronic Cigarette compare to Tobacco Cigarettes? Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 chemical compounds, such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen cyanide and ammonia. 43 of these are known to be toxic and/or carcinogenic. The Electronic Cigarette does not burn and produces no smoke, just a vapor mist that quickly evaporates. No tobacco, no smoke, no smell, no ashes, no tar, no carbon monoxides, and no other toxic chemicals.
What is the E-Liquid
E-liquid or smoke juice is the liquid that provides the taste and the vapour when 'smoking' the Electronic Cigarette. The liquid is composed of PG (propylene glycol) or VG (vegetable glycerin), water, and flavour. PG and VG are common organic compounds that are used in food coloring, food additives, tobacco cigarettes, and smoke machines. They are recognised as being generally safe by the FDA.
PG/VG Base Mixtures
There are two types of E-Liquid base – PG (Propylene Glycol), and VG (Vegetable Glycerin). With Crystal E-Liquid you can choose the percentage of PG and/or VG base that you want.
PG (Propylene Glycol) -FDA safe
-most common e-liquid base
-larger throat-hit than VG
-slightly drier on throat than
VG VG (Vegetable Glycerin) -FDA safe
-a bit sweeter than PG
-produces thicker vapor than PG
GENERAL TIPS & MAINTENANCE
- Always disconnect your e-cigz Battery from the Clearomizer/Tank when not in use
- Keep up a good habit of daily wiping down all components of your e-cigz from excess juice, dust and dirt.
- Clean your Batteries, Clearomizers, and Mouthpieces everytime you refill.
- Never activate your e-cigz Battery for too long an extended period of time. Keep the unit from over-heating and it will perfrom better, and last longer.
- Never continue vaping on a dry Clearomizer/Tank
- Flavors blend and mix over time, and after a week or two your liquid will become a fuller and richer flavoring.
- Although most Crystal Flavors are great tasting right out of the bottle when you receive it, steeping will improve the taste, especially with Tobacco flavors.
- Extra flavoring can alter the intended taste of the Liquid, and if there is too much flavor, the Liquid may make it taste medicinal, or metallic tasting.
- Always experiment with smaller bottles when trying a new flavoring.
- For best steeping results, store your Crystal E Liquid in a dry, cool, and safe area, and shake, shake, shake the bottle daily!
- The higher the VG content, the more steeping/shaking will be neccesary for optimum results.
- If you wish to enhance the steeping process, you can also try putting your bottle into an air-tight bag, and warm it under hot water for 10 minutes, before shaking the bottle.
- Please note that certain strong flavoring, especially citrus, may cause the plastic to crack or melt.
- If your Cartomizer/Tank becomes cracked or cloudy, discontinue use immediately.
- We highly recommend the use of Glass/Pyrex Clearomizers/Tanks for these Flavors.
- Flavors that have been reported as problems:
- Acidic Flavors; like Orange, Pineapple, Lemon, Banana, Cola, and Rootbeer.
- Cinnamon flavors; Hot Cinnamon Buns, Cinnamon Spice.
- Strong Mint flavors; Menthol Ice, Cool Mint, Peppermint Passion.
- Strong Sour flavors; Green Apple
How long does a cartridge/cartomizer last?
It depends on the size of the cartridge, and the manner in which the electronic cigarette is used. For example, one Ultra M601XL Cartridge will hold approx. 11 drops of liquid, which will last for approximately 80 puffs, or the equivalent of 3-5 cigarettes, depending on the users vaping style. One Janty eGo JETS TypeA Tank Cartridge will hold approx 1ml of e-liquid.
One pack of tobacco cigarettes is equal to approximately 2-3 ml of E-Liquid.
Electronic Cigarettes To Quit Smoking
Can I use it to stop smoking? Electronic Cigarettes have not yet been studied or proven to be a smoking cessation device and therefore are not advertised or marketed as such. However, many people who purchase an Electronic Cigarette, do so for health reasons, and many change from smoking tobacco cigs to vaping an electronic cigarette.
Also, many of our customers start at high strength of e-liquid, and work their way down to zero nicotine.
Tips, Care & Maintenance
Vaping an Electronic Cigarette gives you the same sensations as smoking a tobacco cigarette - the hand/mouth/inhaling/smoke - oral satisfaction, but there are small differences that you will soon become accustomed to when vaping an electronic cigarette. Some users incorporate a slightly different technique (a longer, slower draw) when using an Electronic Cigarette. Others, use a shorter first inhale, or primer puff, to heat up the atomizer correctly. You will quickly become acclimatized to vaping your electronic cigarette, and find your own technique.
Electronic Cigarettes are high quality electronic devices, and some special care should be given to it, as you would with any other electronic device.
Although hotshotsvapor.ca sells premium Electronic Cigarettes, all Electronic Cigarette batteries and atomizers have a life span. The life span of these parts are dependent on how they are used, and how much they are used. If you are to think of Electronic Cigarette maintenance as a car - the battery would be much like your cars battery, while the atomizer would be the spark plugs. These items are consumable/disposable products.
General Tips & Maintenance
Always disconnect your Electronic Cigarette Battery from the Atomizer/Cartomizer when not in use.
Keep up a good habit of daily wiping down all components of your electronic cigarette from excess juice, dust and dirt.
Clean your Carts/Atty/Cartomizer/Battery every time you refill.
Never activate your Electronic Cigarette Battery and Atomizer for long extended periods of time. Keep the Atomizer from over-heating and it will perform better, and last longer.
Never continue vaping on a dry Atomizer.
Keep up a good habit of daily wiping down all components of your electronic cigarette from excess juice, dust and dirt. Clean your components every time you refill.
Cleaning your Mod - SilverBullet/OmeGa/PowerTube
For trouble free operation and smooth battery changes it is recommended to clean the main threads once a week with a soft cloth. Be sure to not leave anything behind. A small particle can cause big headaches when trying to change a battery. I strongly recommend an anti-oxidant/galling compound. I personally use GB-OxGard. Only use it on the main threads to prevent galling/seizing. To apply it simply use a small dab on a q-tip and apply it to the male threads. Work the compound into the threads by screwing and unscrewing the top and bottom. After it is worked into the threads wipe off the excess with a soft cloth. Atomizer Connection: From time to time it will be necessary to clean this connection. Simply use a q-tip and alcohol, wipe out the excess alcohol and allow to dry. I recommend doing this once weekly.
Vaping Tips - Better Performance/Lifespan
There are a couple of things that you can do to get the best performance/life-span from your Atomizer (3.7V):
1. Method of Use - Do not hold the button for down too long, in order to prevent the Atomizer getting too hot.
2. Do not let the Atty overheat - If it is too hot to put comfortably against your lip, you should give a rest between puffs.
3. Ensure that the Atomizer always has sufficient liquid on it. (ensure that you always have sufficient liquid in your cart).
4. Alignment - Try to always position the Cart inline with the wick on the Atomizer (match the shape of the Atty to align to the same shape of the material in the Inner Cartridge).
High-Voltage Tips - Better Performance / Extended Atty Life (6V):
Running any high-voltage Mod, like the Silver Bullet at 6V is quite a bit hotter than at 3.7V and Atomizers will burn out much faster... When using fresh, fully-charged 3V Batteries, the SB will be actually running at over 6V, and juice will be used extremely fast on the Atty.
1. Method of Use - Hold the button for a count of 2 releasing and inhaling for a further 2 seconds, without the button being depressed is the general method used, in order to prevent the Atomizer getting too hot and potentially blowing.
2. Do not let the Atty overheat - If it is too hot to put comfortably against your lip, you should give a rest between puffs.
3. Ensure that the Atomizer always has sufficient liquid on it... (try dripping onto it before every use, even with a full cart)
4. Alignment - Try to always position the Cart inline with the wick on the Atomizer (white part in the atty - align to the same shape of the cartridge)
5. (510 Cartridge) You can modify your 510 Carts so that they do not melt - To fix just trim about 1/8in off the cart and trim the filler about 1/32 below cart lip
6. Use HV Atty's - These Atomizers run at a lower voltage and will extend the Atty life
Atomizer 'Quick' Cleaning - Maintenance
1. Rinse your Atomizer under hot water
2. Blow out all water from the Atty
3. Let dry completely. (Can use a hair dryer to speed up process)
4. After drying - drip 2-3 drops of juice (crystal liquid... of course...) onto the bridge of the Atty.
5. You are good to go!
Atomizer Deep Cleaning - Maintenance
(only recommended for 'dead' or very damaged Atomizers)
1. Pour a shot glass full of hydrogen peroxide (HP). (Completely filled a small plastic rubbermaid container with a sealable lid) - Use gloves
2. Blow out any materials in the Atty (can of compressed air designed for use with cleaning electronic devices), and place in peroxide bath.
3. Let soak overnight. (Let it soak for at least 15-30 minutes). Give the mixture a gentle shake every once in a while.
4. Remove the Atty from the peroxide bath, and soak in boiling water for 10 min.
5. Blow out all water from the Atty (can of compressed air designed for use with cleaning electronic devices)
6. Let dry for 24-48 hours. (Can use a hair dryer to speed up process) 7. Re-attach Atty to the battery and do a dry burn, activate the atomizer, for a good 3-4 sec.
7. Drip 2-3 drops of juice (crystal liquid... of course...) onto the bridge of the Atty.
8. You are good to go!
When to Replace the Atomizer
The expected lifespan of an electronic cigarette atomizer is about one month. However, some atomizers may not last a full month, and others may last much longer. Therefore, it is always a good idea to have at least one extra atomizer available. In most cases, an electronic cigarette atomizer fails gradually rather than suddenly. If your atomizer no longer produces the vapor and flavor it once did — even after a deep cleaning — or you find yourself using your electronic cigarette more frequently because you no longer get the nicotine satisfaction you are accustomed to, it is time to pick up a new atomizer.
A Note About Cartomizers
Do not attempt to clean a cartomizer using the instructions in this article, as it may cause damage. When a cartomizer stops working properly, discard it and begin using a new one.
Use special caution when working with Li-ion cells, they are very sensitive to charging characteristics and may explode or burn if mishandled.
User should have enough knowledge of Li-ion rechargeable batteries in charging, discharging and assembly before use.
Always charge in/on a fire-proof surface.
Never leave charging batteries unattended. Never continue to use an e-cigarette type device if you can feel the battery get hot. If your battery gets hot to the touch, or if it begins smelling: DO NOT USE IT ANYMORE. Let it cool down (1 hour) in a safe environment (outside preferably), and then dispose of correctly, or make arrangements to return, if still under warranty.
If your electronic cigarette or device begins activating itself, immediately remove your atomizer and disconnect the battery. Do NOT trust the battery, nor the atomizer anymore from this point on. This means never leave either of the components connected in your pocket, in your nightstand, or out of visibility where you can not immediately separate the two components.
Allan Wong Deserves a massive thank you from the community. His response on Global News tonight to the Battery explosion video was professional, well articulated, and educating. Rather than lose his mind like so many have who saw the video, he responded in a calm and rational tone shedding light on the fact that these batteries are not just found in E-cigarettes. I don't think anyone could have said it better, and the community owes Allan a massive thank you for what he has done tonight. Next time you are in Hot Shots Vapor make sure to say Thank you, because he just may have saved vaping here in Calgary!
From Robbie Bruley on Facebook